Sunday, January 15, 2017

Bosch range - neither oven nor broiler will light

OK, sorry for the length of this post, but I am looking for advice as much as repair info. I have a 10+ year old Bosch freestanding gas range, fueled by propane, that has not been terribly reliable, and has required multiple repairs in the past. Currently it has several problems, but the most pressing is that neither the oven nor the broiler will light.

I bought this range from my local independently owned appliance shop, and at the time they told me it was high quality and very reliable. Over the years I used their repair services as problems arose, but they have changed ownership and the quality of repairs have declined while the price has gone up. I called Bosch to ask for authorized repair shops, and was given the name of my local place, another place that has about a 1 star rating on Yelp, and a place that has decent reviews except for the part where everybody says they are terribly expensive.

Last year at this time the oven wasn't lighting, so I found an independent appliance repair guy and he fixed the igniter. It cost me about $250.00. Later in the year I had him back to repair a burner that wouldn't light without a match. That repair (which ended up costing me about $300) was too hard for him - it took him 3 visits, and he never got it quite right. Now that burner lights with the pilot light but it's not adjusted properly and the flames are difficult to control. And the range has a second burner not lighting without a match.

So - my questions. First of all, what's the most likely cause for both the oven and the broiler failing simultaneously? Is this a very expensive repair, or can you give me an idea of what I should expect should I call a Bosch authorized repair shop. I have actually contacted a couple of other shops recommended to me through a Facebook group, but none of them want to work on a Bosch - shall I keep trying to find an independent place vs. Bosch authorized? Anybody out there who works on Bosch in the MetroWest Boston area?

Is it time to just give up on this appliance? I paid close to $2000 for it, and don't want to spend that much on a replacement. I see multiple decent looking ranges in the 650-800 price range at places like Sears, Home Depot, and Best Buy - depending on the cost of this repair, that would be close to what I've spent repairing this 10 year old range in the last 12 months. If I decide to cut my losses and replace it, will I be happy with any of those less expensive models, and which would you recommend?

This is actually the third gas range I've had in my 22 years in this house. Does this seem excessive, or does the fact that I am using propane shorten the live of these things, so I should just expect I will be replacing them more frequently?

Thanks in advance for any advice here!

via Bosch range - neither oven nor broiler will light
by carmen617

No comments:

Post a Comment