Thursday, November 30, 2017

Generic Question on Oven Element Durability

I just had an arcing failure of the broiling element in a 6 year old Miele oven. I use the rotisserie feature of this oven quite frequently which employs the broiler and always with a pan of water in the oven under the rotisserie to prevent smoking since the cooking time is around an hour. This results in very moist air conditions in the oven while cooking to the point that a cloud of steam escapes from the oven when I open the door.

My question is whether these moist conditions could have accelerated the failure of the broiler element. This is now the second time I've had a broiling element fail (KitchenAid oven the first time) with moist air broiling in ovens that were around 5 years old. Regular baking and convection baking never has the same moisture conditions since I don't see the same clouds of steam on opening the oven door. Those elements remain durable and I've never had those elements fail on ovens that have been as old as 20 years.

I'm wondering if these recent, similar element failures are coincidental or if oven elements can deteriorate prematurely if operated in moist air.

via Generic Question on Oven Element Durability
by warc1

No comments:

Post a Comment