Saturday, December 15, 2018

Kitchenaid Double Wall Ovens/Electrical smell/buzzing sound/F9E0 error

Error code: F9E0 ("Product not wired correctly")

Electric Burning odor, then loud "buzzing/whirring" sound when CANCEL to shut off.

Kitchenaid Double 30" wall ovens, model KODE307ESS00
Installed/New about 3 years ago


Ok, so my wife's doing Christmas baking and had the top oven on for about 4 hours. She called me into the kitchen and said she smelled an electrical odor. I could barely smell it, but told her to turn the oven off (CANCEL on the upper oven) as I ran to the cellar to throw the break off on my subpanel. As I was going down, she said she hear a loud "buzzing/whirring" sound that she claimed wasn't the fan.

Next, I inspected all cabling... behind the cabinet drawer under the ovens and in the cellar coming out of the subpanel. All cables looked normal and felt cool to the touch. Their was no sign of them having been overloaded.

I then turned the breaker back on and tried to set the top oven to 350F... and got the F9E0 error code. It was the same when I tried the lower oven... so whatever the problem is, it is affecting both ovens. (So... NOT either of the control boards?) I tried this a few times--same error.

I then shut off the breaker for safety.

I should say that I've been doing my own electrical work for over 40 years... this was a neat, clean install. Large junction box installed behind the oven... large wire nuts used to make connections (very tight)... cables secured all throughout the run.


All the electronics in this model are above the top oven and it seems that any repairs must be done by uninstalling the ovens from the cabinet. Which is my hellish problem... it's installed about 2" from a wall and window with a radiator under the window that is about 6" taller than the bottom of the lower oven. What a pain this will be for a repairman!

Advice... any ideas on what component it could be?


New info:

The oven's breaker has been shut for over an hour...

I just turned on the breaker again so I could run the diagnostics (CANCEL+CANCEL=START) to see if there were any other error codes in its memory that we missed previously (there aren't). I then turned on the upper oven to 350F and to my surprise the error didn't show up... it continued to preheat for a couple of minutes. I tried the same on the lower oven--no error.

Could it be that the thermal fuse might have somehow melted and caused a short which might have caused the F9E0 error? (If so, this would be a simpler repair since I'd only have to slide the unit out a few inches to get to it. (I'm hoping for something simple, I know!)

Still, I'm not going to use it until I know for certain it's safe.

via Kitchenaid Double Wall Ovens/Electrical smell/buzzing sound/F9E0 error
by finzidad

No comments:

Post a Comment