Monday, December 10, 2018

Thermador range model PRG364GDUS front left burners (XLO) don't work

I have a circa 1999 Thermador range model PRG364GDUS serial number #99070026F and the problem is that the front left burner stopped working about a month ago (it is one of two “XLO” (extra low) burners on the unit). The other three burners, the griddle, and the oven work just fine. We did have a problem a few years ago where the igniters would stay on from 2-20 seconds after the burner lit however that problem just went away with time.

I wanted to order a new “potentiometer” for that burner however first I needed to know what version of the simmer control unit I had so I popped off the kick plate and started to dust off the simmer control so I could read the numbers. That is when all four igniters started clicking. Now I know a little bit about electronics and I am pretty good with a soldering iron however I am not expert by any means and do not know how to use an oscilloscope. I have done some thru-hole repairs on old solid state and tube stereos.

So I was a little surprised when the igniters started clicking when all I did was gently touch the simmer control unit to wipe off the dust. Yes I did not unplug the unit, and to get the igniters to stop clicking I had to unplug it. Then every time I plug the unit back in I get two clicks on the igniters (not sure if this is normal or not). So to me it seems like there is something wrong with the simmer control and so I am asking for advice on what might be wrong and how to fix it. Here are my thoughts on it and I would welcome opinions from the Forum:

bad connection
to try and fix remove all the wires, clean them off, clean the connection contacts, reseat
bad solder joint
reflow solder joints
bad board (send in for repair?)
bad part on the board (which part might be bad? I could repair it myself)
faulty wiring
break out the DMM and test for continuity etc. Not really sure where to start but I’m willing to learn…


This is what I have tried so far (all this before I tried to dust off the simmer control unit).

I pulled the unit out, unplugged, turned off the gas.
I swapped the potentiometer from the left front burner with the left rear (working) burner and tested it and it worked. However, after putting the unit back together, when I plugged it in, I get two clicks on the igniters and the left front burner does not work anymore. However, when I was dusting off the simmer control and the igniters kept clicking, I tried the left front and it worked again. However, once I unplugged the unit, plugged it back in (two clicks), the left front does not work again.

The “bad” potentiometer that used to be on the left front that I removed from the unit has an obvious trace that is burned out - the connection closest to the edge of the board. So something fried the connection or the pot just went bad and fried itself I don’t know I have not taken it apart yet to see what its made out of.

So this is what I think so far: I think that the simmer control is having some problems. Now whether that can be fixed simply by reflowing the solder or cleaning off the connections I don’t know. I may need a diode, resistor, or capacitor replaced - I have not taken it out of the unit to see what’s it made out of however its 20 years old and the electrolytic capacitors are at the end of their life and of course the environment it is in is hard on the board as well. The board could need a full rework.

I think the bad pot on the front left burner is shot and I need to get a new one. I ordered one (part #422748) to see if that will at least work if the simmer control is behaving.

OK I’m done and thank you for reading along. Let me know what you think and what your recommendations are.

Best wishes,
Michael

PS: The simmer control says model SQ003 with no “-H” after it so I am not sure if it is a 422882 or the “old” 411441. I ordered a pot replacement #422748.

via Thermador range model PRG364GDUS front left burners (XLO) don't work
by mjgillen

No comments:

Post a Comment