Monday, June 12, 2017

GE range won't stop clicking. Problems with ignition system

Hi guys,

I have a GE JGP975SEK2SS (link to wiring diagram below) range stove top that I haven't been able to get working quite right. Basically it won't stop clicking like the ignition module is always on when it's plugged in.

It started after I spilled a bunch of stew all over the stove (pressure cooker opened too early). I took off the top piece and cleaned up the area under the top facade.

I've also replaced the spark ignition module when I noticed arcing between the terminals with the leads removed (didn't change anything).

I've also taken apart each individual switch and cleaned the internals multiple times (some looked like they needed to be cleaned out, but the problem persists when everything is reassembled.) I'm pretty sure the ignition switch harness is working correctly, as it functions as expected when hooked up to a multi meter.

Removing the ceramic igniters, it sounds like the clicking is coming from somewhere around the spark module or the wires coming out of it but I don't see an arc anywhere and the wires don't have any obvious damage.

The wires from the spark igniter seem to really want to arc towards each other, they will arc if put next to each other even when the leads are covered with electrical tape or if one lead is removed from the module (will arc from bare module terminal to closest wire terminal).

So I'm here looking for insight and advice on how to fix my stove. Also, it seems very strange to me that two live wires would be arcing between each other. Is this normal behavior?

Thank you for any help

Wiring diagram:

http://ift.tt/2rTRJmw

via GE range won't stop clicking. Problems with ignition system
by terrencepickles

No comments:

Post a Comment